Sunday, July 19, 2015

Calories count, so Count Calories

Introduction

In general, people gain weight if they eat more calories than they burn and they lose weight if they eat fewer calories than they burn. Some people have faster or slower metabolisms, but I'll wager most fast metabolisms are caused by exercise and most slow metabolisms are caused by a lack of exercise. Regardless of the differences in efficiencies, if people want their weight to go in their desired direction, they will have to pay attention to calories. 

How many calories do we need?

The number of calories we need to eat in a day can be separated into two numbers. Base metabolism and exercise calories. In order to reach their weight goals and nutrition goals, a person will have to estimate both numbers.

Base Metabolism
I prefer this calculator from the Mayo Clinic. When entering data, use sedentary so it only calculates your base metabolism requirement. When I'm trying to lose weight, I set this as my target for daily calories.

Exercise calories
People are bad about estimating the amount of exercise they get during the day outside of planned exercise. Every step burns calories and people tend to overestimate the number of steps they take.

I recommend getting a pedometer to count these calories. There are many inexpensive pedometers available.

Some pedometers count only the exercise calories and others include base metabolism calories in the exercise. You will have to read the directions.

I use a Fitbit Zip pedometer to measure my exercise since it's all walking. It gives an accurate accounting of the total calories burned in a day. I know this as my weight loss closely parallels my expected weight loss.

Tracking Calories
For me, planning my calories before I eat them is the most successful. I use a spreadsheet for this task. It also includes the cost. Tomorrow I'll make the spreadsheet available. Look for Menu Spreadsheet in the top right corner of the blog.

Sure, tracking calories takes time, but it becomes quicker with time. There are some apps that can help like www.caloriecount.com, but I've found they take too long for my tastes.

Diet
I'm on a starch based vegan diet taught by Dr. McDougall. I'll have more information on this tomorrow. However, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about their diet. I will say my diet is inexpensive and proven to be healthy. If someone can get the same benefits from a different menu on a food stamp budget, I'd be interested in seeing the exact calculations.

Conclusion
Counting calories takes time and it's best spent during menu planning time. Calorie counting is the only way I've been able to control both weight and costs.





Breakfast

In addition to this plate full of food, breakfast included a large bowl of oatmeal. There are two steamed potatoes and some onion and peppers.

Cost: $1.00
Calories: 568
Cost/2000 calories: $3.52

Cooking Tip: Dice and then steam the potatoes for 20 minutes. Then add the peppers and onions and steam for another five minutes.

One fried potato would have the same number of calories and slightly less cost. I'd rather have a second potato than the oil.


SUPPER

Cost: $1.51
Calories: 613
Cost/2000 calories: $4.92

This meal is a little expensive for a food stamp diet, but it worked when I balanced it with less expensive foods during the rest of the day.

Notice how small the meal looks, but it was satisfying. To avoid eating too much, I meticulously weighed or measured the ingredients.

(Note: This would have been healthier by having more pasta and eliminating the margarine.)

Cooking tip: Measure the sauce. This is only a half cup. Cook in a small pan instead of a pot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: